I made these cookies about 2 weeks ago when it was -25 outside. I really wanted something sweet to eat and did not want to go out, so I decided to make some cookies. Of course I did not have all of the needed ingredients for most cookies, i.e. no milk or eggs. But I did have all the ingredients for shortbread cookies! here is the step by step of my cookies I made.
Here is the recipe in short, you can view the entire recipe here on Martha Stewart’s Website
1 cup of unsalted butter
3/4 cup of sifted sugar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
There is a section of the recipe for dipping the cookies in chocolate but I was too lazy to do that to all of them 🙂
1. Start with soften butter. Please make sure it is softened not melted like I did. I was too impatient for the butter to ‘soften’ and tossed it in the microwave for a bit too long.
2. Add the sugar, vanilla, and salt to the soften butter and cream with a whisk. Since I have melted butter this really didn’t cream, it kind of mixed together, sort of…
3. Add in the flour and mix it up.
4. Chill in the refrigerate for a short time. The dough becomes very hard really quick. If you leave it in the frig for more than 30 minutes, you will have to let it sit out for about an hour to be able to remove the dough from the mixing bowl.
5. Roll out the dough and cut shapes. Ya, I forgot to take pictures of this until almost the end.
6. Place your lovely shaped cookies on a baking sheet and cook for about 18 minutes at 300 F degrees
7. The slightly golden cookies.
8. And all the cookies cooked, minus the ones I kept eating. You have to do quality control on each tray!
9. Enjoy a cookie or two, I did dip these in chocolate, with a wonderful warm drink!